Oral Hygienist Services in Grand Central & Rockefeller Center, NY
- Patient screening procedures; such as assessment of oral health conditions, review of the health history, & oral cancer screening
Removing calculus and plaque (hard and soft deposits) from all surfaces of the teeth
- Applying preventive materials to the teeth (e.g., sealants and fluorides)
- Teaching patients appropriate oral hygiene strategies to maintain oral health; (e.g., tooth brushing, flossing and nutritional counseling)
- Counseling patients about good nutrition and its impact on oral health
- Making impressions of patients’ teeth for study casts (models of teeth used by dentists to evaluate patient treatment needs)
Why Is Oral Hygiene So Important?
Adults over 35 lose more teeth to gum diseases, (periodontal disease) than from cavities. Three out of four adults are affected at some time in their life. The best way to prevent cavities and periodontal disease is by good tooth brushing and flossing techniques, performed daily.
Periodontal disease and decay are both caused by bacterial plaque. Plaque is a colorless film, which sticks to your teeth at the gum line. Plaque constantly forms on your teeth. By thorough daily brushing and flossing you can remove these germs and help prevent periodontal disease.
Periodontal diseases can be accelerated by a number of different factors. However, it is mainly caused by the bacteria found in dental plaque, a sticky colorless film that constantly forms on your teeth. If not carefully removed by daily brushing and flossing, plaque hardens into a rough, porous substance known as calculus (or tartar).
PROPHY-JET is an air polishing prophylaxis system which uses air, water, and either sodium bicarbonate (ProphyJet) or non-sodium (JET Fresh) powder as a slurry to remove extrinsic stain, dental plaque and soft debris while simultaneously polishing tooth surfaces.
Recommended to clean tooth surfaces prior to bonding procedures and placement of dental sealants. Highly effective in use on patients wearing orthodontic appliances.
- Sodium bicarbonate is accepted by most patients and is both minimally abrasive and water soluble.
- A two position foot switch for polishing and rinsing modes.
- Fast, easy operation and for greater productivity.
- Powder control on the front panel.
- Uses Cavitron Jet Air Polishing insert.
- New and easy to use powder bowl.
Periodontal diseases are infections of the gums, which gradually destroy the support of your natural teeth. There are numerous disease entities requiring different treatment approaches. Dental plaque is the primary cause of gum disease in genetically susceptible individuals. Daily brushing and flossing will prevent most periodontal conditions.
Bacteria found in plaque produces toxins or poisons that irritate the gums, which may cause them to turn red, swell and bleed easily. If this irritation is prolonged, the gums separate from the teeth, causing pockets (spaces) to form. As periodontal diseases progress, the supporting gum tissue and bone that holds teeth in place deteriorate. If left untreated, this leads to tooth loss.
Preventing Gum Disease
The best way to prevent gum disease is effective daily brushing and flossing as well as regular professional examinations and cleanings. Unfortunately, even with the most diligent home dental care, people still can develop some form of periodontal disease. Once this disease starts, professional intervention is necessary to prevent its progress.
Other Important Factors Affecting The Health Of Your Gums
- Clenching and grinding teeth
- Poor nutrition
Before and After Dental Cases
Full Mouth Cosmetic Reconstruction
Water Laser Decay Removal